Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Chocolate Supreme Overload Mug of Love aka Chocolate Mug Cake

It's Saturday night.  Normal teens might be out partying (or maybe not and I just think they are).  Me?  I just watched the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  And how exactly did I pick to watch this?  Considering I semi-exhausted watching HP for awhile I needed to get my British accent fix some other way.  Thus, the Chronicles of Narnia.  It actually ended up being a really good choice because I haven't seen it in forever and I actually forgot some parts (I love when that happens in a movie I've seen before).  

To complete my fabulous Saturday night movie plans I needed something sweet and decided on a "mug cake".  I've only attempted one of these once before.  And you wanna know what I thought?  This is too small.  So, when it came to making one tonight I definitely went with the bigger, the better.  I first looked online for inspiration and found a pretty standard recipe that seemed to make either 1 large or 2 small cakes so I thought it seemed like a good choice for my bigger is better policy.  

Average Chocolate Mug Cake

Ingredients

4 tbsp flour
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
1 egg
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp oil
3 tbsp choc chips
small splash of vanilla

It seems almost stupid to put the directions but...

Directions
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Stir in the wet.
3. Microwave for anywhere between 1 and 3 minutes.  
4. Enjoy!


Well, sometimes being a girl means you just need some dessert. Y' know?  Like you eat all those salads and nuts and fruits and then it comes to dessert and you're like why not?  I deserve this!  If I don't do this everyday it can't be that bad...

My point is, I felt that this recipe needed more and thus I made a Chocolate Supreme Overload Mug of Love.

Chocolate Supreme Overload Mug of Love

Ingredients

4 T flour
2 heaping T sugar (I did one regular and then one heaping which ended up sprinkling all over the counter. yay!)
2 T cocoa 
3 T milk (I used almond milk because that's all we had in the fridge)
1.5 T oil 
1 egg
2 T Nutella (could've gotten away with 1)
splash of vanilla
as many add ins as you would like

Directions

1. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Stir in the wet.
3. Microwave for anywhere between 1 and 3 minutes (I did 1 min 20 sec on HIGH in a pretty powerful microwave and I could've just done 1 min)
4. Enjoy!


I definitely got what I was asking for with this guy.  I wanted big and I got B-I-G!  I even used our special soup mugs instead of just a plain ol' coffee mug.  
yes, I'm using the Half Blood Prince as a coaster...

I didn't list my exact add ins because honestly, I don't know how much of everything I actually tossed in.  Oops.  You know how most people might toss in a palmful of something, well let's just say I put in handfuls.  Semi sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, marshmallows.  Toss some in, eat some out of the bag.  Toss some more in, eat some more out of the bag.  Repeat process until there are enough choc, pb, and marshmallows in their to offend normal people (cuz remember, we're not normal).  

I put it in the microwave for 1 minute while I quickly washed my mini whisk and measuring spoons and then put it in for another 20 seconds or so.  I definitely could've left it at a minute because although it was not dry, it was completely set up and I was sort of hoping for that molten effect.  

A nice long squirt of whipped cream later and I was on my way to chocolate and movie-viewing bliss.  Ok, so I sort of wished I had put something a little heftier than whipped cream to cut through this stuff because it needed it.  Don't get me wrong, it was delicious, but I was just slightly overwhelmed by it.  Yes, I think some vanilla ice cream would've lightened it up quite nicely.  Because y' know, ice cream just fixes everything.

I think it needed crunch also or at least some other texture.  It was so uniformly gooey and globby and gahhhh in my mouth that I almost had trouble finishing it had no trouble whatsoever finishing it.  Actually, the whole thing was devoured all before Lucy even enters Narnia.  

Overall, a nice second try on the mug cake recipe.  I definitely think this is a very forgiving recipe and you don't really have to be too exact on your measurements, especially if you're just going to cover it in ice cream or something.  



No comments:

Post a Comment