Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Rainbow Pinwheel Cookies

Happy Easter! Yesterday.  Oops.  But don't blame me, I'm still preparing for Greek Easter next weekend.

Anyway, because I have this lovely surprise day off from school, I figured I would make something yummy.  One of my friend's birthdays was Friday, so I'm making these cookies for her.  She has a very exuberant personality so I figured these RAINBOW cookies would be perfect!  You've probably seen them floating around the internet for a long time now, but I only just now have found the time for them.  Except I definitely shortcut it by using refrigerated Pillsbury sugar cookie dough.  But, seeing as the rest of the assembly is a little time consuming, I figure why not go for the premade cookie dough that I know makes super good cookies?

Rainbow Pinwheel Cookies

makes approx. 17

Ingredients  <---running out of colors for my rainbow

1 16.5 oz roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
a few drops of any food coloring you would like (I used 4 neon colors and 1 regular)

omg! that ingredient list is so short!  Yay! for easy "recipes"

DIRECTIONS

1. preheat oven to 350
2. divide your cookie dough into 5 equal chunks
3. put a few drops of coloring into the chunk you want to color (I started with around 2 drops to be safe)
4. divide the chunks into little chunks about the size of large grapes (I got 17 out of each color)
5. lightly roll one of each color together until it resembles a mini beach ball (only about 1 or 2 rolls between your hands)
6. take a beach ball and roll it like a snake
7. coil your snake up into a pinwheel put make sure you twist you snake as you go.  This ensures a cool swirl
8. space about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes
9. let cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a rack to continue cooling
10. Enjoy your rainbows!

2 Ingredients!
separate your dough into 5 blobs, gobs, or chunks ;)
mix in the food coloring (this stage gets a little sticky and messy)

This picture reminds me of Willy Wonka...yummm rainbow dough blobs

roll those little suckers into mini beach balls

 and coil away!  (don't forget to twist!)

 let 'em cool


 and cool some more
 even the gunk they leave behind is rainbow!
 sort of like how I don't like making 2 trips when carrying stuff, I try my hardest to fit all the cookies on one rack...stupid Valerie
 you are getting hypnotized by the swirls of color...wooooo





Some people have rolled the edges in rainbow sprinkles before they bake them, but I like my sugar cookies without any annoying crunch of sprinkles on them.  Feel free to do it either way.  Now the real challenge will be waiting to try one until school tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment